One in seven women will experience persistent symptoms of depression during pregnancy, which is known as antenatal depression.
The symptoms of antenatal depression include:
- Overwhelming feelings of hopelessness
- Loss of interest in things that you used to enjoy
- Excessive feelings of tiredness
- Feeling useless and unable to cope
- Extreme guilt at how you ‘should’ feel after having a baby
Pregnancy is a very emotional time and it can be difficult to tell how serious your feelings are. The best thing to do is trust yourself. If you just don’t feel right most days for two weeks or so, talk to someone about how you’re feeling, whether that’s a partner, friend, midwife or GP.